I don’t know what it is about fresh thyme lately but I can’t seem to get enough of this delicious healing herb. I’m excited to share some of the health benefits with you.
Thyme has a long history of use in natural medicine in connection with chest and respiratory problems. The volatile oil components of thyme are now known to include carvacolo, borneol, geraniol, and the most powerful active ingredient is thymol.
Thymol is the primary volatile oil constituent of thyme, and its powerful healing effects are well documented and backed up by research. Thymol has been found to protect cells and significantly increase the percentage of healthy fats found in cell membranes -the amount of DHA (docosahexaenoic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid) in brain, kidney, and heart cell membranes increased after dietary supplementation with thyme.
Thyme also contains a wide variety of flavonoids – apigenin, naringenin, luteolin, and thymonin. These increase thyme’s antioxidant capacity, and is a very good source of manganese.
Let’s start enjoying some more of this healing herb along with some healing Sunworks farms chicken!
Lemon and Thyme Baked Chicken Breasts
- 4 Sunworks farms chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt
- 1 lemon, cut into rounds
- additional fresh thyme to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a high- powered blender, add lemon juice, sea salt and thyme. Blend until smooth. Slowly add olive oil to emulsify.
- Remove chicken from packages and pat dry.
- Place dressing into a medium sized bowl and one coat each chicken breast until fully covered and place on baking tray.
- Top each chicken breast with lemon slice and additional thyme.
- Bake for 25-30 min or until an internal temperature of 165F is reached.
Serve with organic mixed greens topped with your favorite dressing! Enjoy!
Source – Justine Stenger